The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL was the only instance to be found of the SL-Class grand tourer. It was also the fastest production car in its time. It debuted as a two-seat coupe in 1954 with its distinct gull wing doors and was later offered to the public as an open roadster. Made by Daimler-Benz AG, the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL featured a direct fuel injection model that was inspired by the company’s successful, yet less powerful W194, an overhead, carbureted cam straight 6 1952 racer.
Max Hoffman was the one to suggest a toned-down Grand Prix car that was geared toward performance enthusiasts during the postwar market in America. Mercedes decided to comply with the request and made the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL. It was introduced at the New York Auto Show in 1954. Successful right away and considered iconic to this very day, the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL was second to none with its first ever product of injected fuel, its distinctive doors and its world-class speed. The roadster was available from 1957 to 1963.
A slightly heavier yet smaller, cheaper and less luxurious 1.9-liter roadster made the scene in 1955 and was called the 190 SL. Both the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL and the 190 SL prefaced the production of the 230 SL. To this day, the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL is regarded as one of the most beautiful and high-performance classic cars, never losing its gusto even after all of the decades that have passed.
Latest posts by Taylor (see all)
- Prevail 3-in-1 Parka by Tekkima - January 22, 2018
- Amazon Echo Show - December 26, 2017
- Halo Vantage - November 22, 2017
- Rezvani Tank Tactical Urban Vehicle - November 19, 2017
- Halo Vantage Home Security Camera - November 16, 2017
- Norlan Vaild Whiskey Glass - November 8, 2017
- Jaguar E-type Zero - November 6, 2017
- R7 MK3 High Fidelity Radiogram - November 5, 2017
- Time of Your Life: Top 10 Best Luxury Watch Brands in the World - November 3, 2017
- Killspencer Utility Weekender - November 2, 2017
- 1959 Ferrari 410 Superamerica Series III - October 30, 2017
- Shinola Runwell Watch - October 30, 2017